Dosage and pack size
- Large size (100 DCU in foil sachet) will inoculate 500 to 1,000 litres of milk depending on the dosage used.
- Small size (33 DCU in a screw cap bottle which is 1/3 of a large pack) will inoculate 150 to 300 litres of milk depending on the dosage used.
Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis
Types of Cheese Alp D can used on
All types of semi hard and hard cheeses
- Alp D is a blend of several thermophilic and mesophilic starter cultures with approximately 85% thermophile and 15% mesophile. It is specifically formulated to provide a large diversity of cultures.
- The low level of mesophiles is to provide acidification when temperatures of the milk are between 30°C – 38°C for starter addition, rennet and cutting stages.
- The thermophiles at this stage are starting to ‘wake up’ and then start producing acid during the cooking and scalding stages.
- The thermophiles in this mix can withstand cooking temperatures up to 53°C.
- LH (Lactobacillus helveticus, thermophile) is one of the thermophiles that has been added to this culture to break down the residual galactose that can cause browning defects during ripening. Additional LH may be added for hard Italian and Swiss styles of cheese.
Flavour profile: 4 out of 5
Acid production: 3 out of 5