Dosage and pack size
- Large size (10 Doses) will inoculate up to 5000 litres of milk (foil sachet)
- Small size (1.6 Doses) will inoculate up to 800 litres of milk (screw cap bottle).
- Add <1/8 drop spoon to 8 litres of milk. Less or more can be applied depending on the intensity of flavour required.
Kluyveromyces lactis can be used to any variety of soft cheese and hard cheese.
Benefits of using KL
- K lactis develops aromatic notes in the cheese such as: alcohol-like, sweet smelling fruits such as pineapple, orange and pear), sulphurous (onion, garlic), savoury bouillon-like
- A key point for using K lactis is it the most acid tolerant of all the yeasts and it will be the fastest growing one if the pH of the curd is very acidic when the cheese is removed from the mould on day 2. This is particularly important for white mould cheeses.
- K lactis grows in the matrix of the cheese as well as on the surface. However, it is preferred to add it to the milk and achieves a better effect that being sprayed onto the surface of the cheese.
- K lactis is compatible with and is often used in conjunction with other ripening cultures and yeasts,
- For traditional Camembert and Brie, where the acidity can be below ph 5.0, it is recommended to use K lactis.