Sanitiser – Stellar San – Food Grade


  • Each bottle contains 500ml
  • Stellar San is a phosphoric acid based no rinse sanitiser
  • It is suitable for home cheesemakers
  • It is highly effective at killing a large range of bacteria very quickly
  • It will not impart off odours to the equipment, the milk or the cheese
  • It is gentle on your hands and any residual phosphoric acid that remains on the equipment is negligible
  • The phosphoric acid is provided in a very concentrated form, stored at ambient temperature (or even in the fridge for longer shelf life), and is to be made up at a rate of 1.5ml of Star San to a litre of clean cold water
  • Important: allow the equipment to drain for a few minutes after you dip it in the iodine but before you use it
  • Do not rinse your equipment with water after sanitising. Iodine is a ‘no rinse sanitiser’. The residual diluted iodine on the surface equipment will not affect your cultures or your cheese.
  • The longer that you leave your equipment in contact with the working solution the better, but at least a few minutes of contact is good.
  • Star San provides some foaming
  • Star San is not to be used on soft metals, aluminium, wood, copper, or brass.
  • It is important that increasing this addition rate is not necessary or desirable; it is a waste of money, but it could lead to excessive iodine in your cheese and no extra benefit is obtained.
  • The correct use requires that the Star San solution is used as a sanitiser only, all equipment needs to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed of any detergent (the equipment does not need to be dry) before being placed into the Star San solution. Do not use the Star San solution as your wash solution.
  • The working solution can be reused as a sanitiser at the following day’s cheesemaking session if it is still clear. It will need to be stored in a tightly sealed container overnight.
  • I use a sanitised draining tray to rest equipment on after sanitising and before use. Even items such as lids, thermometers and stirrers can be placed on this sanitised tray
  • Safety with use is paramount. Star San can cause eye and skin damage and is corrosive
  • Do not mix with chlorine based chemicals or sanitisers or cleaners